Tuesday 24 January 2012

ATTA Early Bird TT #7

Being the last event in the Early Bird series, today was the last chance to ride inside that elusive 29 minute mark for the ATTA Kings Park Lovekin Sausage course. Looking at the weather forecast last night was not giving me much hope as 30km/h easterly winds were being predicted that would make the job a very tough one. However, there was no sign of that sort of wind up there this morning which was a boost to the confidence and at only 21°C, heat was certainly not going to be a problem.

I was keen to avoid any distractions so the listing of Emma Pooley in the start list was not going to sway my attention to what I wanted to achieve today. Although I do recall thinking to myself not to let her improve her time gap on me. TT #6 had us split at 00:01:23.

Click to view larger image.
(Garmin stopped after finish)
With only a slight breeze and a comfortable temperature on the start line, I was feeling a little anxious to get rolling and get this TT over and done with. I was totally focused on getting consistent split times to ensure I did not overdo things at the start and fall short at the end. The first lap was a good indication that wind was not going to be a factor and that the ride was going to be a quick one.

By lap three, I was still feeling very comfortable and I recall being about a minute and a half inside the 30 minute course time over 5 laps so I was on target for finishing inside 29 minutes. I was expecting my time to drop off on the next two laps but something clicked and I didn't seem to feel the usual fatigue setting in by the end of the fourth lap.

Start of the final lap and I was still on track to finish at about 00:28:30 - 00:28:40. I did not want this chance to slip away so I gave it everything I had left so that I would finish feeling completely drained and knowing I had done everything I could to get inside the 28 minute mark. I was feeling very comfortable as I rounded the bottom turn for the last time (my turns had certainly improved and were much tighter than they had been) and powered out of it as strong as I could for a good start into the final climb. My power out of the turns was a lot better today and certainly counted toward the quicker time I was riding.

By the time I hit the top of the hill to face the final charge up to the line I was really hurting. The legs were screaming at me to stop the pain but the head had (thankfully) switched off to it by then and was happy to keep going. I focused on my technique and ensured that I was maximising the remaining power in my legs and ramped up the speed to the finish. I was completely shattered when I crossed the line for the last time and the pain was extreme by this point - so much so I only remembered to stop the Garmin some 10 seconds afterward.

The Garmin reported 00:28:43 and a rush of adrenalin from the achievement kicked in, the pain vanished and I was totally releaved. I still didn't know my official time at this stage but I knew I had reached my sub 29 minute goal and I waited anxiously at the official times board to see my final time.

00:28:34 was written against my name and I was wrapped! 40 seconds shaved off my previous best and I recorded a PB for each of the early bird time trials subsequent to my first event demonstrating a continual improvement over the summer so far.

Event Date Time Pace PB Diff
EB TT #2 29/11/2011 00:29:48 33.4 km/h (First event)
EB TT #3 13/12/2011 00:30:19 34.0 km/h 00:00:31
EB TT #6 10/1/2012 00:29:14 34.7 km/h 00:00:34
EB TT #7 24/1/2012 00:28:34 35.5 km/h 00:00:40

I was impressed that my PB Diff times were increasing each time I rode proving that my fitness and strength as a cyclist has been improving. Reviewing my heart rate data showed that not only were my split times consistent but also my HR across the entire ride.


Click to view larger image.

A solid 158 bpm average and a maximum of 168 bpm tells me that I am able to hold a more intense work load than ever and certainly a vast improvement from where I was 3 months ago before I started training with Brad so not only a great result for me but a good result for Brad as well.

A total of 47 riders with personal bests this morning (including AP - well done) so a quick and strong finish to the ATTA Early Bird series in Kings Park. The time trials have been a good indication of how my training has progressed and also a great inclusion in my training program. I look forward to continuing my work up in Kings Park with the group on Tuesday mornings.

Final results for this morning's ATTA Early Bird TT #7 can be found here. I came in at position 36.

Lap 1 Dn Lap 1 Up Lap 2 Dn Lap 2 Up Lap 3 Dn Lap 3 Up Lap 4 Dn Lap 4 Up Lap 5 Dn Lap 5 Up Time Pace
02:05 03:23 02:14 03:27 02:17 03:30 02:15 03:32 02:17 03:33 28:34 35.5

NB. Emma Pooley removed yet another 40 seconds off the female's course record this morning completing her ride in just 00:27:11. The good news for me regarding that time is that she did not manage to increase her 00:01:23 gap on my time as we both come in with a 40 second PB. Mission accomplished!!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job out there this morning Charlie. I can't say i enjoyed these events, but they're definately a good measure of improvement. I think we should be looking at an entry for the TTT event later this year.

    ReplyDelete