Sunday 3 June 2012

Torturer le Cycliste :: 3rd June, 2012

A tough weekend to end a tough couple of weeks and I don't mean that as a result of pain and suffering on the bike. I would certainly have preferred to have been out there slamming myself against hills or racing against riders that are better then me, as being off the bike is insufferable and is, by far, more painful than anything one could have thrown at them while out on the road. As some of you reading this may already know, my return to training has been torturously terminated after a relapse in the left knee which has proven to be quite troublesome in a very inconsistent manner.

After a little over 1 month of rehabilitation including walking, running and finally being able to get back on the bike, I returned to Brad's training program with much excitement and anticipation of returning to form and being ready for the Goldfields Cyclassic in Kalgoorlie, Menzies and Leonora. I had been able to complete a couple of easy Monday morning training sessions with Brad and a few new faces and I was ready to return to the Tuesday group sessions on the 15th of May which I completed well and could feel the form returning rapidly as Brad had suggested it would.

I completed a good week of training that week and returned to Kings Park the following Tuesday the 22nd of May which triggered the beginning of a complete break down in the left knee. While I completed the session that Tuesday morning, it was not without some pain in the knee which concerned me a little. However it did dissipate at the end of the session and I was able to ride to work that morning but unfortunately when it came to riding home later that day, the knee had completely relapsed and I was barely able to ride.

I had various outings on the bike through to Monday the 28th of May where I completed what would be my last training ride until further notice. My hopes of competing in this weekend's Cyclassic were dashed when there was no sign of any improvement as at the weekend before the race and I knew for sure that it would be a risk to attempt competitive racing with my knee in its current condition. Visits to my physio, G.P. and ultimately a sports physician have revealed that while there is no obvious damage to the external structures of the knee, I am still yet to hear whether there is any internal issues surrounding the joint itself. After having and MRI scan done last Thursday (31st of May), I should know more about the problem on Tuesday night after my followup with my physician.

Being off the bike again is incredibly frustrating especially as I see more and more great results coming in from fellow riders in the events I would so love to have been able to compete in. This weekend was certainly the culminating point of that frustration as I received feedback regarding how the race in the Goldfields played out to what is one of my strengths in racing - a bunch sprint. I would loved to have been there for it and it just makes more more hungry to get this injury rectified so I can get back to competition. Hopes are high for good results from the scans and that it wont take too much to get back to normal.

I can't close off this post without giving all the kudos I have been storing up to Brad Hall. After being on the receiving end of some humorous discourse on Strava these past few weeks, he avoided being thrown to the trenches (Stravarians will understand) by landing himself on the overall podium (3rd place) up in Leonora. I know Brad will dedicate his result to his Plan B team, and understandably so, but it still comes down to being able to be there individually at the end of the race. A strong team will get you there but it is still an individual rider's ability to do the right thing by his/her team and obtain a good result. Brad, you've done you and your team proud mate so give yourself a good pat on the back. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment