Sunday 21 April 2013

WCMCC Herne Hill Road Race - A Grade :: 21st April, 2013

When I first moved into A grade, I was a rather hopeful individual riding in a grade that was dominated by teams. I'd ridden with other HCT athletes where we would scratch together a rough plan, but today was very different. During the week, I'd been afforded an invitation to join team HCT/Unicorn Brewery and I approached this morning's race with a new vigor and an enthusiasm I hadn't experienced before. I would be truly riding for a team that was hopeful of a result and had me in as a race finisher in a sprinter's role. This would be the first time I would be racing with expectations from others and at the same time, be riding for my team mates as well. It's hard to explain the feeling but it was very different to previous road races I'd participated in - including last week's UWCT Qualifier. I just hoped I could fulfil the expectations of others and justify my place in the team and the sponsors that now laid over my shoulders on my new kit.

The weather this morning was holding out for us somewhat with only light, patchy rain falling on isolated parts of the course but the roads remained mostly dry which would make for some great racing. With registrations closed, it would be just three of us from HCT/Unicorn on course in Pat Hayburn, Paul Foxwell and myself. With some solid riding we would be a good chance for a podium finish or even a win. My instructions for the morning were to "be lazy and pull no turns on the front" allowing me to conserve my energy if a final sprint were to decide the outcome. Short instructions, so I assumed also that it would be my responsibility to block and disrupt any chasing if Pat and/or Paul were able to get away in a break. Pretty sure I'd be able to handle these requirements but I was suddenly feeling like a complete rookie!

After a bit of a delay with the race computer and the new timing system, we were second grade released on course and as with last year, we were released from the new starting point on William St. Other teams in A grade included a pretty strong contingent from Eddie Hollands, KHT and Glen Parker along with some strong individuals in Fenton Moran and Jason Cawthorne (among others). A field of only 25 for the season opener but some strong riders on the start list would make it a fast race.

We rolled down William St at a fairly cruisey pace with no real attempts to jump and attack early. The pace rose to a steady 40km/h which would turn out to be one of the slower laps of the race. Riders were happy to sit in and await the first attack. I was keeping to my instructions and retained 7th wheel or so but wanted to keep to the front 10 riders to ensure I could monitor the attacks and disrupt any chase coordination if needed.

Before too long, the attacks came as we entered our second lap. I wasn't sure who instigated the jump but Paul was able to go with them so I kept to the front of the chase group and attempted to keep the pace down to allow Paul and the small group of riders to get away. Pat was still with me so I was able to keep off the front a bit more than I normally would although Pat had to remind me at one stage not to pull turns.

Eventually, Eddie Hollands charged off the front and demonstrated his intention to bridge the gap to the lead group. Pat and a few others also went with this move and I was in two minds as to whether to go with them or not. In the end, I sat in as there were still some strong riders remaining in the main group including Doug Stewart and Ian Lyne. I wasn't sure how many were away but from the remaining size of our group, it would be a little under half the field. I was happy to continue to drag the pace down now that I had two team mates out front. I had no need to work at this stage which I know probably upset some riders.

At no stage did the second break group get up the road enough to get out of sight and I noted that our pace was often close to 50km/h as those riders with intent to catch the break were pulling turns. I attempted to disrupt the chase as much as I could but the pace was strong enough that riders were beginning to pop and fall off the back of the bunch. Pretty soon we were down to just 6 riders in the chase and at that point I knew I had to change my attitude and work with the remaining riders to help claw back the group ahead which had now merged into one group of around 14 or so.

Some solid turns were put in by all of us and as we approached the corner from Oakover Rd onto Campersic Rd for the 4th last time we caught the lead group and the entire field was back together again. The pace eased and this allowed me to sit back in the group and recover. At this point, the prospect of a sprint finish was highly likely and I knew I would need to have the legs to be a part of this as the team would be leading me out to the finish.

The next two laps offered little in the way of attacks and I moved back to the front third of the field to work behind Pat and Paul while keeping the rest of the field in check. I was happy to remain near the front even though most of the likely sprint finishers were moving back to the middle of the field to recover and conserve energy. By the time we reached the start/finish for the 2nd last time, Chris Glasby had moved away from the field and had created a gap on the field. During this second last lap, two other riders in Michael Tapscott and, I believe, Greg Stoyles had joined him so it would be evident that neither members of the Eddie Hollands nor KHT teams would be interested in chasing.

After a bit of a tangle with C grade as we approached the corner of Lefroy Ave and Oakover Rd with all three of the HCT/Unicorn team in the front. Some verbal exchanges were forthcoming reminding us that we had the numbers at the front and if we wanted to chase we would need to do so. We brushed these challenges off and rode our own race. I for one was happy to sit behind a few of the Glen Parker and other Eddie Hollands riders (including Eddie himself) and stayed off the front. Paul and Pat were riding well and both looked strong although Pat came up beside me and let me know he had a front wheel puncture which appeared to be slow but may put him out.

Disaster was about to unfold as we crested the hill on Campersic Rd and descended toward William St. C grade were on their last lap and had picked up a strong pace in what appeared to be an effort to confuse things by entangling themselves in the A grade bunch. One or two of them had already attempted to ride with the A grade peloton back on Oakover Rd which drew some criticism from Bob Addy but this didn't deter the group from getting up either side of the A grade field which would ultimately spell trouble.

Now, it has been mentioned a number of times in pre-race briefings that if your grade encounters another grade passing you, it is appropriate to keep to the left of the road and allow them to pass. For A grade, this would be a natural instinct so to have C grade riders streaming up both sides of the A grade field was only going to end with riders hitting the tarmac. Paul, Pat and I were still at the front of the field and we noted at least 5 C grade riders coming up either side of us and then the inevitable sound of crunching bikes came from behind. It didn't sound good and we would find out after the race just how bad it was.

The bulk of the field were still coming around us as we came out of the corner off Campersic and back onto William St. A grade remained to the left side of the road and the C grade sprint to the finish was on as they streamed around to the right of us with no further trouble. We received the bell as we went through (dodging the C graders) and the pace picked up as we continued onto Lefroy Ave for the last time with the three lead riders still out front but with less of a gap after also being tangled up in the C grade finish.

Teams with riders in the lead three were still disinterested in working on the front and yet Paul was still being reminded that his team had the numbers at the front of the chase and needed to pull hard turns if we were to pull the leaders back. This time around it was crunch time and it would mean that one of us would indeed need to dig deep and attempt to get across. The leaders were well within sight and the gap was certainly bridgeable and one rider jumped well before we reached the Campersic Rd corner - no-one went with him and he was in no-man's land on his own but riding strong. We turned onto Campersic Rd for the last time and the group had strung out a little which was clearly tempting enough for Paul to jump.

Surprisingly once again, no-one went with him and he was away on his own and chasing down the previous chasing rider. I had been tempted to follow suit but decided to stay put near the front of the chase group and once again went into disruption mode to ensure that Paul would get away to the leaders without challenge. Pat was still working hard at the front with a half inflated tyre but allowed me to sit behind him and few others. The pace was not as high as it had been as riders began to find position in the main field for the sprint finish. As we approached to top of the rise on Campersic Rd, Jason Cawthorne jumped and this time it was too tempting not to go with him and I jumped onto his wheel and again, no-one else followed and the two of us had a good gap on the rest of the field as we passed C grade's ground-zero from the previous lap and around the corner onto William St.

Jason put some power on out of the corner and I was out of the saddle to stay on his wheel. I could feel a familiar twinge in the right leg and got back into the saddle and sat on Jason's wheel once again. With about 400m to the line, Jason pulled out wide allowing me to come through. I put as much power on as I could without getting out of the saddle in an attempt to avoid any strain or cramp from taking hold before the final effort for the line. We still had a good gap on the field but I was beginning to fatigue a little and found it hard to resist the urge to get out of the saddle for a final effort to the line.

I continued to push while in the saddle but with about 50 metres to the line, Jason came around with a strong surge and I had no choice but to try and go with it and use his effort to my advantage in a last ditch effort for the line. I jumped up out of the saddle and held his wheel nicely for about 10-20 metres and knew that the main field would be almost on us but the right leg would have none of it and I felt the tightness hit and I was forced back into the saddle and could not keep the power on. I made it across the line just behind Jason but could not hold off Doug Stewart's last effort for a place and he pipped me at the line for 7th position with me finishing 8th just ahead of a very strong and in-form Fenton Moran.

It was my best placing in any sole A grade event I have been involved in and I was extremely happy with my effort. It was a shame that I could not get that last bit of power out to avoid having Doug jump me at the line but I know that I put in a solid enough effort to warrant my 8th place and I know both Paul and Pat played a big role in today's results and it was great to have Paul cross the line in 3rd place. I didn't see him cross the line as the leaders were well away from Jason and myself but to achieve a 3rd and 8th for the morning demonstrates some promise for the team given there were just three of us today. I can't help but think of the damage that a Chris Singleton and Craig Pennell combination could have inflicted on this race and I look forward to racing with a full compliment of team members.

Speaking of other team members, it would be intolerable of me not to mention the epic ride undertaken by one Andrew Patterson and his team of cohorts of questionable mental state down at the 24hr Delirium event in Cowarramup starting yesterday morning. The team managed to pull off a strong win in less than desirable conditions with each of them riding strongly for each turn they put in. Congratulations to all involved.

In relation to the crash in C grade, I think it would be fair to say that the thoughts of all the WCMCC riders are with Peter Neuzerling, who was actually riding B grade, as reports came through of the seriousness of the crash resulting in some bad facial injuries. I also found out after the race that Emma Gillard was one of the riders to come down and landed on her shoulder but thankfully she was able to walk away from the incident.

While the day was marred by such a serious crash, the racing was fast and furious across the grades. It was such a pleasure to ride with my "new" team mates for the first time and I hope that I was able to justify my invitation into the team and look forward to the opportunity to continue to chase some good results for the team.

Many thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. An update on Peter's injuries came through from Jodie Neuzerling on the Friends of WCMCC Facebook page. Jodie reports that Peter has suffered a fractured C4 vertebrae (neck) and was waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon at RPH. I'm sure everyone wishes Peter a full and speedy recovery and that we see him back at WCM soon.

    ReplyDelete