Sunday 12 February 2012

Post Race Ride :: 12th February, 2012

After such a high pace at this morning's Open Criterium event, I was happy to decline an invitation to join some of the Garland Crew for a quick couple of laps up in Kings Park. It was not until I arrived home that I received a phone call from Kathy asking me to come down and meet her and the kids down at South Beach while they waited to pick up my folks who were spending a couple of hours on the Leeuwin. I was reluctantly convinced to ride down and meet them so I was back on the bike and on my way.

I figured it would be a good test of fitness and form if I went via Kings Park and Swanbourne and down through Fremantle. On the South Perth foreshore I passed David, Owain, Emma and Dale returning from Kings Park for their post-race work out. I felt a little bad that I had not gone with them but my intention was that if I saw them up in Kings Park, I would ride a lap or two with them before continuing to Fremantle.

Home to South Beach ride.
Click to view larger image.

I decided I would still ride up through Kings Park as Mount Street would be a good test of the legs and to see how I would cope with another significant effort post-race. I came out of the freeway underpass and was setting a reasonable pace up the incline toward Mount St. Getting up the first half of the Mount St. climb was done well enough but it wasn't long after that I hit my lactic threshold and my pace slowed to about 12-13km/h and the last 1/4 of the climb was quite a bit more difficult that usual.

I managed to continue well enough up to the back of Fraser's Restaurant and was surprised to find I had managed my 3rd fastest time for the "Mount Eliza from underpass to Frasers" Strava segment. I knew for sure that the downhill along Lovekin would not be the fast pace I usually enjoy and I was not keen to go too hard into the wind so soon after the morning's efforts.

The ride through Port Beach and Fremantle was a little hair-raising as the Sunday drivers appeared to be out in force - nor was I used to riding through the area during the Sunday lunchtime traffic. As I turned onto Marine Tce, I felt much safer and picked up the pace a bit to get to South Beach as quickly as I could. The legs were certainly feeling OK so the fitness is at an all time high.

After a good rest down at South Beach with the Family, I was ready to ride home with the wind to my back and had decided to ride along South St before heading north up Vahland Avenue, around Riverton Drive (Shelley Bridge), Bungaree Rd, Manning Rd and up Kent Street into Victoria Park for a quick look at some of the action of the Perth Crits.

South Beach to Home ride.
Click to view larger image.
I loved the ride along South Street. The initial segment coming out of Fremantle was great with the rolling hills and I felt strong climbing them and recovered well going down them. I was already setting a quick pace of around 36 km/h.

By the time I had gotten over the hills and into the flatter stretches I was consistently holding around 45 km/h. The wind assistance was there but I could tell that I was pedalling quite strongly. As I reached Vahland Avenue, I picked up the pace a step and was riding a shade under 50km/h until I reached High St where I reduced the pace a touch to ensure I would make it home. I was really enjoying the ride and the road surfaces was certainly one of the better ones I've experienced. It might certainly constitute part of a great group ride one Saturday morning.

I reached the Victoria Park Criterium course with and average speed of 36.4 km/h and was happy to see the last two laps of the Open Women's event. Emma Pooley and Nicole Cooke were fighting it out for line honours and it came down to a sprint that would always be Nicole's. Emma fought valiantly to hold Nicole's wheel and not being the sprinter that Nicole is, she did well. A good part of the race to see. I only stayed for the warm up laps of the Elite Men's race and wished Brad well for the race. I will definitely catch Monday's event at Leederville and see as much of the night's racing as possible.

I pushed off home and completed the ride with an average of 36 km/h and a feeling of satisfaction that I was able to complete Saturday's Group 1 ride (36km/h), the morning's Criterium (40.5 km/h) the ride to South Beach into the wind (29.2km/h) and the ride home. A great weekend's work and feeling stronger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment