Sunday 5 February 2012

WCMCC Kewdale Criterium - B Grade

I only found out on Saturday night that this morning's event was upgraded to the Keady Humble Tognini Classic with KHT offering additional prize money and a prime lap for each grade. Certainly a very welcome gesture that was appreciated by all who attended the Kewdale Criterium. But, of course, with additional promotion and prize money comes additional numbers in the fields. All grades had impressive starting lists and riders steeled themselves for a tough morning's racing, especially considering the nagging southerly wind.

The extra promotion of the event attracted a total of 35 riders into B grade, being by far and away the biggest field for the day and the biggest field WCMCC had seen all summer for any grade. My plan to spark an early breakaway looked in doubt with the strength of the field both in names and number. Having support from the sidelines from my family (and Dennis who rolled in for a look) was encouraging and would prove to be motivating during the race.

A quick look around at the yellow numbers on jerseys showed some familiar strong riders and some equally strong-looking unfamiliar riders. My sights then fixed on the HCT kit of Andrew Patterson and my immediate thought was "I thought AP was racing at Landsdale?" and then "this race is going to hurt". But the idea of having some on-course support was the thought that stuck and I quickly started talking tactics with him.

I was still keen to try breaking away from the main bunch as was AP so the plan was to check what the field was prepared to do during the first couple of laps and then begin the attacks. As B grade hit the course it was on from the get-go with one rider hitting the gas from the word go. There was no panic in the field as it was highly unlikely for this attempt to succeed given the wind and strength in the main field but it sure set the tempo for the rest of the race.

The main field seemed like they were more willing to work together this morning with a number of riders helping to bring the the many attacks back to the group and this first one was no exception. My place in the field was not optimal and I needed to find AP's wheel before the next attack came. Thankfully I as able to get to him just before a couple of riders decided to go with AP hot on their heels. I kept with them easily enough but the main group were having none it and pulled us back within a minute.

There were a number of attacks that came before the half-way prime lap was sounded with myself and AP attempting a number of these and therefore keeping to the front of the group for the majority of the race. Each time we attacked we were pulled back almost instantly with the best gap reached being around 10-15 metres. Perhaps it was AP and my warm up before the race that was noted by the main field as they were not keen to let either of us go.

The prime lap saw several contenders show themselves and their potential to sprint for line honours at the end of the race if they were amongst the front of the group. The $20 on offer for the prime lap was not enticing enough for me and I was happy to sit and watch the outcome from about 15th wheel. Roger Middlebrook was the prime lap victor and pocketed the additional prize money.

The main field were certainly on tenterhooks as they crossed the start/finish line as primes can be immediately followed by attacks and it seemed there were some riders entertaining the thought but nothing eventuated and the tempo of the ride began to steady with only a handful of additional attacks occuring throughout the remainder of the race.

The main field had resigned to the fact that the race was going to finish with a sprint for the line. The last attacks that did come were perhaps last desperate attempts from non-sprinters to get away from the group with the last breakaway holding out for a couple of laps until the 2 lap notice was given.

With such a large field, position on the last lap was going to be crucial! The last 7 laps had an average speed of around 41km/h so to be out of the first 6-8 riders in the final lap was going to make placing pretty difficult. I was happy to be in at about 4th or 5th wheel as we heard the bell and I was feeling particularly comfortable and knew that I had strength in the legs to maintain position but I was unsure about the rest of the field as it had been a very difficult race to read. I could only hope that I could gain the additional places to be there for the final sprint.

I had lost contact with AP at this stage so I could only hope that he might still be close by and if it came to it offer him support to the line or vice-versa. Looking behind for the last time as I made my way through the second last corner, the field had ribboned out quite a bit and I was in around 4th wheel as we jostled for position coming into Hazelhurst Street for the last time. Roger Middlebrook then appeared from nowhere and was clearly determined to win. I jumped on his wheel as I knew he was a strong finisher and could not let him get more than a bike length off the front. As we approached the final turn I was right on his wheel.

Thinking back, it was the final corner (at 40km/h+) that may well have been my undoing as I entered too sharply and exited the turn far too wide allowing Roger to get two or three bike lengths ahead and an additional rider passing ahead of me on my left. I was suddenly third wheel and was really going to have to work hard to pull the gap back with both lead riders out of the saddle and opening the gap slightly.

I was hammering the pedals as I straightened up jumping out of the saddle to pull back second wheel and focused on Roger's wheel. I knew the main field would be right on my wheel but I dismissed any thoughts about what they were doing and could only hope that I had the power to hold them off.

I was slowly gaining on Roger and closed in on him reaching his wheel with about 10 metres to go. It appeared that I had run out of gears at 52/12 (my biggest combo) and felt I was bouncing all over the place and failed to bridge the final gap finishing just inside Roger's wheel. It was the first time I had noticed that 52/12 was not able to cut it against 53/11 (or 54/11) for this sort of event.

Roger is a fantastic strong sprinter and I really worked hard to pull him back. He rode very well to hold the field off from half way up Hazelhurst Street (some 300 metres to the finish) so he must have been feeling very strong today. My congratulations go to him for a great finish. I am not sure how far back third place getter, Ian McFall, finished but looking back a few seconds after crossing the line I noted there were a few bike lengths between us but the entire field appeared to be there so finishing 2nd in a very hard fought race is satisfying.

It was a great experience to ride with support during the event. AP put in a great effort on the front of the group this morning and probably deserved a placing as much as anyone else. His presence on course was motivational for me to keep with the pace and to be there at the end. Thanks AP.

Click to view larger image.

Click to view larger image.
Although disappointed with my final corner, I completed today's race comfortably with an average HR of 152 bpm and a maximum of 172 bpm. I am now certain that I will compete an A grade event before the end of the Criterium series. The new S-Works Venge will be a key factor during the up-coming events with the 53/11 combination put to good use in finishes such as these (can't wait).  The body is responding well to the hard training that Brad has been providing and the form I have at the moment should bode me well.

I'm more than happy with the result considering the size and strength of the field and it was nice to bring a podium result in not just for me (and the family) but also for Brad and his coaching and the Garland Crew for the support that they provide each time I ride with them and for those that come down to the races to watch or compete.

Final results here.

I look forward to next Sunday's Open Summer Series Criterium - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment