Tuesday 3 April 2012

Many Thanks :: 3rd April, 2012

Many, many thanks to everyone who checked in and/or sent messages of concern regarding my cycling accident this morning. As you can tell from that fact that I am able to write this post so soon, I am all in one piece (apart from some bark left on the road) with a pair of very sore knees, a banged up cheek bone and a few bruises, cuts and scratches.

The only thing that is broken is my poor Giant TCR bike. I am yet to see the aftermath other than a photo that Chris Singleton sent to AP but it looks like a shattered top tube and apparently the forks and front wheel (both taking the full force of the impact) were all but demolished. It's a real shame because that bike was an incredible asset and was responsible for getting me to where I am form-wise. I will miss not riding it anymore.

While it was an experience I would have preferred not to have gone through, I will not let it deter me and I will be back to training as soon as the knees will possibly let me. I trust that we can all let the incident act as a good reminder to ensure that we all remain as safe as possible on the roads and as my father always told me when growing up, "expect the unexpected".

Finally, thanks to everyone who was there at the scene and were quick to do everthing they could to ensure I was properly looked after. A big thanks also to AP for contacting Kathy and letting her know and for riding over to CGH and instructing the nurses how best to treat cycling accident wounds. I honestly thought you were joking about the scrubbing brushes!!! Oh, and thanks to the CGH emergency ward staff for treating yet another cyclist with great care and attentiveness and for putting AP to work.

3 comments:

  1. Well said Charlie. It was a pretty sickening sight to see the aftermath of the collision and amazing you got off so lightly. Hope to see you back on two wheels soon. Also thanks to the guy passing by who called the doctor who lived down the road - he was there in minutes though thankfully not really needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you are still posting Charlie though I suspect you are feeling the pain today. We definitely have to find a way to stop these cars taking us out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie
    Just found out you had an accident. I hope it's not too serious. Get well soon mate.

    ReplyDelete